The City of San Bernardino has received the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) Sustainability Award for its Clean Fleet Policy. The City was recognized at SCAG’s regional conference, held in Palm Desert. Mayor Helen Tran and Council Member Damon Alexander were on hand to receive the award.
San Bernardino’s Clean Fleet Policy was unanimously adopted by the City Council on December 7, 2022 in an effort to reduce emissions from its daily operations. The policy establishes a framework for transitioning the City’s fleet from gas powered vehicles to zero or low-emission vehicles.
San Bernardino’s Clean Fleet Policy goals are:
- Procure new and replace existing fleet vehicles with alternative fuel vehicles, with a focus on procuring all electric vehicles.
- Optimize the fleet size by eliminating unused or underused vehicles through review and evaluation of vehicle utilization and redundancy reports.
- Limit the procurement of gasoline and/or diesel-powered vehicles.
- Execute a plan to expand the network of charging stations city-wide, and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and pollutants through the elimination of fossil fuel combustion.
- Decrease costs associated with fleet vehicle operations, which can be reinvested into the community.
The Clean Fleet Policy is the first of a series of strategies and initiatives San Bernardino intends to pursue to support the City’s efforts to achieve net zero emissions in its operations.