Eight individuals received Medal of Honor or Distinguished Service Awards during the spring meeting of the San Bernardino County School Boards Association last week.
“Each outstanding honoree is helping create incredible opportunities for students throughout San Bernardino County,” said County Superintendent Ted Alejandre. “While they may not do what they do for the recognition, we’re proud to get the opportunity to thank them for all their hard work and dedication.”
The winners of the distinguished service awards recognized individuals for exceptional leadership and significant contributions to public education in the county. This year two individuals were honored; Dr. Ronald J. Powell, a retired CEO of the California Association of Health and Education Linked Professionals, and Dr. Sandra Rodriguez, a Assistant Superintendent of Student Services at San Bernardino City Unified School District.
The Education Medal of Honor awards include:
- Volunteer in Action/Community Volunteer – Jackie Lawson
- Volunteer in Action/Service Group- Music Changing Lives, Josiah Bruny
- Partners in Education/Small Business or Franchise- Alverson Family Daycare, Dawn Alverson
- Partners in Education/Corporation or Government Agency- CalPortland Company
- Excellence in Education/Education Professional- Dr. Lisa Lamb
- Excellence in Education/Student Alumni- Dr. Rhea McIver Gibbs
The annual Spring Awards Ceremony is dually sponsored by San Bernardino County School Boards Association and San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools.