One real gem in the confines of the City of San Bernardino is Cal State University San Bernardino (SCUSB). Once again the college has been recognized for overall excellence by US. News and World Report.
The publication develops a comprehensive listing of universities and ranks them according to a series of criteria. It is one of the most sought after acknowledgement of high-quality educational experience and quality of life on college campuses by the educational institutions.
According to the report, CSUSB ranked in the top 20 in three categories for regional universities in the West:
- No. 13 for Social Mobility;
- No. 16 for Top Public Schools; and
- No. 18 for Best Value.
CSUSB was ranked No. 37 in the Best Regional Universities in the West category as well as No. 92 for the Best Undergraduate Engineering program in the nation from an institution that does not offer doctorate degrees.
According to The U.S. News & World Report colleges are evaluated are based multiple factors that include:
- Outcomes such as retention and graduation rates, graduating students who received federal Pell Grants;
- Faculty resources, such as class size, faculty salary, the proportion of full-time faculty with the highest degree in their fields, student faculty ratio, and the proportion of faculty who are full time;
- Expert opinion such as surveys of presidents, provosts and deans of admissions, peer assessments and high school counselor assessments;
- Financial resources such as spending per student;
- Student excellence such as standardized tests and high school standing; and
- Alumni giving.
Trinity University, Cal-Poly and Portland University were ranked one, two and three in the same survey. The West region includes institutions from 15 states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
The U.S. News & World Report rankings will be listed in the 2022 Best Colleges guidebook, which will be released in October. The rankings are also available at the U.S. News & World Report website.